Friday, March 13, 2015

A Little Spring in My Step!

Now that my taxes are done (I set a March 1st deadline that I always miss by at least a week), it's time to enjoy March and Spring! So here are:

6 Wonderful Things I LOVE about Spring/March:

1.  My Annual Pear Tree Blossoming!  Planted in 1994 alongside a peach and plum tree, both of which are long gone,  it has survived sudden freezes, wildly fluctuating temps in the same week, or even day, and 100 degree summers! 

It produces fewer pears than it did in the late 90's and early 2000's but still more than we could ever eat.  Fondest memory is of our late golden retriever, JJ, jumping up to tear them off the tree and eating pear after pear after pear.  That tree misses him! 

2. Buying Cheap Flowers!  They are everywhere starting the first week of March!  Begonias, Petunias, Impatiens, Zinnias, Geraniums and more.  Actually the geraniums are one of the only ones I can get to flower year after year - they actually flower all year long!  I didn't say I had a green thumb or anything, I said I love the availability and affordability of an amazing variety of flowers! 

3.  Sitting Outside at Restaurants and Happy Hour. This is the BEST, and in San Antonio, the window for doing this is very small. Not for me - I would sit outside all the time, but for all the people I eat and drink outside with.  Most of them won't put up with the blinding sun, the 95% humidity and the 99+ degree temps.  But from mid-March to late April (and sometimes into May), I enjoy patio seating at my favorite eateries and bars; like La Hacienda and Willies and El Jarro.  It's also flips flops and tank tops weather. 

 
 4.  Staying Lighter Later  There is nothing more depressing than when we Fall Back after Halloween and I leave work at 5:30 pm and it's dark outside.  Suddenly no one knows how to drive in the dark and my commute is worse than it's been since the kids went back to school at summer's end.  The opposite happens when we Spring Ahead!  I don't even care about the hour I lost!  Now I can take walks, plant flowers and sit outside after work!

5.  St Patrick's day and Easter When holidays collide!  I decorated for St Patrick's' day at the beginning of March, but I have already pulled out all the Easter stuff because Easter is the first weekend of April this year! All the pastel colors of this holiday are so fun and light and just bursting with springtime energy!  I was actually thinking about not decorating this year because Zoe (youngest child) won't be home for Easter, but Lacey (middle child) talked me out of it.  I was just momentarily delusional.  Bring on the Bunnies!  


6.  My Oldest & Youngest Kids' Birthdays!  I had two March Babies!  Ariel is about to turn 27 and Zoe will be 13.  I texted them at the lake where they are for Spring Break and asked them to send me a celebratory selfie and this is what I got.  Ariel is anti-picture these days.  Then I got videos of Zoe's hair in the wind on the boat they were sailing on.  I love to see the sisters spending time together happy and having fun. 

I cant imagine my life without having had these two girls, and maybe that's why Spring is so special to me.  It's always a time of year when life begins anew, but for me that has really special meaning because it's also when I brought these two into the world. 

 Yay Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment