Monday, May 25, 2020

A curbside social distancing concert series in my neighborhood


Pre-concert snack tradition with Zoe 
I'm sitting in the lawn chair I brought to the front yard of my friend's Kelly & Billy Haynie's house (social distancing of course) inspired to write about how awesome it's been that the “After Hours Band” has been playing free neighborhood concerts every Thursday night during the pandemic. 

It’s a balmy night with a slight breeze. Cars line their street. This is my 4th time out, but I think it’s Thursday #7 for the band. There are lightening bugs in the trees, and kids running around with flashlights, weaving in and out of the little family and friend groups scattered across sidewalks and adjacent lawns. Lots of people are on lawn chairs, others on the curb, a few have brought Styrofoam coolers. There’s a dancing couple, 2 teenagers on a couch that’s clearly been dragged out for this special curbside concert, and a lighted stand holding someone’s smart phone recording everything on Facebook Live for those who can’t venture out. The band greets everyone who tunes in, physically and digitally. They’re clearly having a good time. We are too. Thanks, guys. You are everything America needs today.

The music is good, the instruments and speakers are set up carefully and effectively in the doorway of Bill and Kelly’s house. There are 5 band members and a sound guy, and Kelly is the Band Manager (official or unofficial I’m not sure, but Billy says she’s in charge). ;)

They cover lots of songs that are definitely of my generation, but my 18 year old daughter sings along to most of them. Here are ones I remember:
  • Lots of Eagles, which I love, like “Take it Easy,” what a great song 
  • Joe Walsh’s “Rocky Mountain Way,” 
  • Tom Perry’s “Breakdown,” 
  • Many Elvis tunes (Blue Suede Shoes, Don’t Be Cruel)
  • Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues), and 
  • Eddie Rabbit (I can't remember which song they played, but it was enjoyable.)
Zoë got very excited about “I Wanna be Sedated,” by The Remones, and the songs most likely to inspire couples to take to the street-dance-floor were “Amarillo by Morning,” or my personal theme song these days, “I’m Much Too Young (to feel this damn old).”  The band also usually plays “The Break-Up Song,” which has special meaning to them from when they started playing together, and “Suspicious Minds," Kelly’s favorite (I love that one too).

Every once in a while, an audience member goes up to guest sing. Tonight, someone did a wonderful, spirited rendition of “When Will I Be Loved,” by Linda Ronstadt. Last week, Zoë sang "Desperado," by the Eagles, another one of my favorites. 

They usually play from 6:30 or 7 til 8:30 or 9. It’s still light out when they start singing, but as the sun sets, the sky dims and the lights come on in the trees. It's beautiful. Tonight, even the pizza delivery guy slowed down to listen as he drove carefully down the street.  

Personally, I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather be. Pandemic or no pandemic. 

This is just a small tribute to the After Hours Band: Thanks for coming out to play, to make our week a little better in these crazy times. I hope you enjoyed us as much as we enjoyed you. You guys are the best! 


See Video we took of the band here: 
https://vimeo.com/422645480

More on the band here: https://linktr.ee/afterhoursbandsa


5 comments:

  1. Thanks Denise! This has turned out to be the best thing. All the neighbors know each other now from blocks around. We may have to raise our voices from 6ft away, but we've been able to get to know each other anyway. What started out to be a fun way to cheer each other up has turned into a bonding experience we didn't expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the pizza guy! I wish I could've stopped to listen. It was so good to see people happy and enjoying themselves in that setting. I kinda teared up when I had to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw this when you ousted it and forgot to reply. How funny that you saw my post. 😀 The band is great!

      Delete
  3. Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks. Social distancing

    ReplyDelete